We all have those times when we are in need of a bit of a chocolate fix, instead of reaching for the Snickers why not give this recipe a try; think about it like a turbo-charged chocolate milkshake.
I will admit that I have blatantly stolen the idea from the lovely people at Plenish. This company make delicious juices and nut milks that are available in many health stores, gyms and even my local Waitrose.
- 15-20g of soaked cashew nuts (overnight or 20 mins in boiling water)
- large teaspoon cocoa powder *
- 1 small teaspoon maca powder
- 1 date (more if you must but one gives it enough sweetness)
- Pinch himalayan salt (I did not use nearly as much as in the picture!)
- Cinnamon to taste- I like a lot so used about 1/4 tsp
- Vanilla - a dash of good quality essence or I have a grinder that minces the whole vanilla pod
Chuck it all in a high powered blending and mix until smooth and creamy. I am sure that the peeps at Plenish strain their milk to ensure no remaining bits. However, as far as I am concerned life is too short to faff around straining nut milk, so I don't bother. Just drink and enjoy!
Maca, sometimes called Peruvian ginseng is an adaptogen, which means it can help rebalance the stress hormone cortisol. It is also is beneficial for hormone balance
*I am using Chococru which is a cocoa powder that contains a very high level of cocoa flavanols. Cocoa flavanols have antioxidant properties (so help prevent damage to cells) and have been particularly well researched in relation to cardiovascular disease. However, any good quality cocoa powder will do.